I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Sunday, November 04, 2018

Seven Things Week 10

This last Friday we prepared to evacuate our home in the face of an out of control bushfire that was (and still is) 8 kilometres away.  Ours is among the first houses in the direct path of the fire. That tends to concentrate the mind about what is important.

I packed the dogs, medications, our laptops and vital personal documents (certificates and passports) and enough undies for a week and a couple of changes of clothes and shoes each.

And then I turned to the inessential but important things.  For me it was our wedding photos, my jewellery and family items - my great, great, great  grandmother's chest brought out from Ireland in the 1850s, my great grandfather's WWI diary, the recordings my father sent to my mother when he was serving in Vietnam, the recordings of family funerals, and some other family desiderata.

And then I packed a set of interchangeable knitting needles and a 2k cone of lace weight organic merino and cashmere.  Because I am still me and I had the time and space.

It all fitted into the back of our 19 year old Corolla with quite a lot of room to spare. 

So that and my husband (whom I left at the house to put out spot fires), are the things I value most.  Useful to know in this latest journey of decluttering.


Snowie (front) and Dora ready to be evacuated

A poor photo (I was in a hurry), of a not full boot of a 1999 Corolla hatchback

IN

1SarongThe Green ShedI really love the free bins at the Green Shed
1suitcase wetpackThe Green Shedno more totally wet suitcase from my swimmers while I’m travelling - more from the free bins
1insulated lunch bagThe Green ShedI probably didn’t really need to bring this home but it was cute and free - I’m not perfect

OUT

80balls of yarndestashgetting rid of yarn is really hard
3pairs undiesbin
last of the ASOS cheapies - lesson learned
14paversgift

5topsop shop

1pair trousersop shop
They were fine but I would have need to buy or make tops to go with them.  Easier to let them go than create more things.
180reels of nylon bindingBuy Nothing Communityno tomato plant will go unsupported this year!
5dressesop shop
Try them on and if they don't fit well, they go
35sewing needlesPaper and the WorksHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
4sewing needlesbinHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
1lip balmbinHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
3pencil toppersbinHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
10hair clipsop shopHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
5decorative tinsop shopHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
3pin tinsPaper and the WorksHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
1knitting needlePaper and the WorksHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
32stitch markersKnitters GuildHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
1thimblegiftHot afternoon declutter of my knitting tools trolley
8buttonsused on a knitted garment

153balls of yarnKnitters GuildIt’s a lot easier to give it away than it is to sell it.  I value my time.
10shirtsop shopTOF succumbed to my suggestions (nagging is such an ugly word) that he look at the shirts he didn’t wear last winter
2loomsPaper and the Works

6craft booksPaper and the Works

562




NETT OUT 559
total out since 27 August 2018 = 3658

No comments: