I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Someone, somewhere in summer time...

Chevron Lace Wash Cloth

Yarn: 1 x 50g ball 8ply cotton (you will not need a whole ball - somewhere between 25g and 35g depending on the brand) .

Needles: 1 pr 3.75mm (Imperial 9, US 5)

Notions: 1 darning needle for the endy bits.

Tension: Only if you've left it until the last minute. No, really, tension is not that important.This wash cloth will take about 3 hours to knit.

Finished size: About 22cm x 22cm (8.5" x 8.5")

Instructions:
Cast on 48 stitches.

Knit 6 rows.

Begin chevron lace pattern
Row 1: K4, *K2tog, yo, k1, yo, sl1, k1, psso, k2, repeat from * to last 2 stitches, K2
Row 2: K3, P to last 3 stitches, K3
Row 3: K3, *K2tog, yo, k3, yo, sl1, k1, psso, repeat from * to last 3 stitches, K3
Row 4: K3, P to last 3 stitches, K3

Repeat these 4 rows until piece is about 1 pattern repeat shy of square - I did 14 pattern repeats on some and 15 on others because the cotton knitted differently.

Knit 6 rows.

Cast off.

Darn in ends and give it a bit of a tug to square it up.

Things you might like to know about how I knitted this pattern.

  • I used a cable cast on, you can use whatever method you prefer.
  • I slip the first stitch of each row knit-wise because I like the little bump on the edge. If you like a smooth, chain edge, slip the first stitch of each row purl-wise.
  • To avoid the little loop that sometimes forms on the last stitch of the cast off, knit into the stitch below and voila!, no loop.
  • Sometimes I only knitted 5 rows at the end to make sure the piece was reasonably square.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks Taph! Much appreciated. I'll probably knit a few of those between here and Brisbane next week!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern - will have to give it a whirl before too much longer. I have some cotton in my stash somewhere... near the bottom, I think? I *may* need to do a bit of tidying up of the stash soon - I think Lulu has been up to mischief in there or something....

Ginger_nut said...

Hey Taph - I have been looking forward to our relocation to canberra next march so that I can hang out with the s'n'b at starbucks. from memory the civic store is cosy with a fireplace :)

Thanks for dropping by the yarn snob :)

My Five Sons said...

I was looking for a pattern to do one for my Nan,now you have shown me a lovely one to try,thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate said...

I hope all continues along the good road to recovery. The wash cloths are awesome! Thinking of you both.

happyspider said...

hi Taph! I've knit 3 from Anchor Magicline cotton and if i do 14 pattern repeats i use just shy of one ball per cloth! Munches right through it, but they're so pretty it's worth it.
thanks for the pattern :)

Taphophile said...

That's a good thing to know, Spidey. The Magicline has such pretty colours and it's still a one-baller. You must have done nothing but knit these. Do you want your cotton back?

Kate said...

Take care and have a lovely Chrissy. I hope all will be home and happy. Hugs, Kate

Sheeprustler said...

Have a lovely Christmas and spoil your puppies.

Did you get your roving back from Lulu?