I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Short Circuit - an accessory recipe

Want to knit a curly whirly scarf but don't own several very long circs and the endurance of a marathoner? Well get out your shortest needles, sharpen up your short row skills and grab a heap of your favourite yarn. This one's a stashbuster extraordinaire.

Materials:
Any yarn at all will do for this. In the pictured sample I've used 4 x 50g balls of Cleckheaton Country Naturals 8ply (DK) roughly 384m (420 yards).

Equipment:
Use whatever size needle you would normally use for the yarn of your choice. The needles used in the sample were 4mm Ivore casein needles. Darning needle for dealing with the ends.

Note: If you use a slightly larger needle than you would normally use, say a 4.5mm needle for 8ply, your scarf will be drapier. A lovely effect.

Dimensions:
Depends on materials and equipment. In 8ply on 4mm needles, 4 x 50g gets 70".

Basic Recipe:
Cast on 10 Stitches
Row 1: *Knit to end (10 sts)
Row 2: Knit 8, wrap next stitch, turn (Sarah Bradberry has a good explanation of wraps)
Row 3: Knit to end (8 sts)
Row 4: Knit 7, wrap next stitch, turn
Row 5: Knit to end (7 sts)
Row 6: Knit 6, wrap next stitch, turn
Row 7: Knit to end (6 sts)
Row 8: Knit 5, wrap next stitch, turn
Row 9: Knit to end (5 sts)
Row 10:Knit 4, wrap next stitch, turn
Row 11: Knit to end (4sts)
Row 11: Knit 3, wrap next stitch, turn
Row 12: Knit to end (3 sts)
Row 13: Knit 2, wrap next stitch, turn
Row 14: Knit to end (2 sts)
Row 15: Knit 1, wrap next stitch, turn
Row 16: Knit to end (1 st)
Row 17: Knit to end (10 sts)
Repeat from * until you reach desired length, run out of yarn or can't stand it any longer.
Cast off.
Sew in ends and drape elegantly around your neck.

Variations:
Work on 16 or 20 stitches for a wider scarf.
Use a floppier yarn for a floppier scarf.
Add beads to the ends of the long edge on every 2nd or 4th row.
Alternate colours and textures.
Anything goes with this technique. I'll post other versions later and better photos than these of the basic scarf.

Added bonuses:
The ruffles have a lovely softening effect around the face (you have to be over 40 to understand this as a bonus).
Maximum KIP effect. I knitted on this for a few hours on a stall at a craft show today and it was a HUGE drawcard.

13 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for the pattern, Taph, I was going to ask you about it :) Like the 'adding beads' concept... very pretty! Can you believe it, I've only got one pair of socks OTN, and my camisole which I *think* is nearly done. Time to cast on something new!

How did the Craft Show go? Hope it was good fun!

Taphophile said...

If you're short a project or two, Jejune, I can lend you a few of mine!

The Creators and Designers Show went well. Sold 11 books of raffle tickets for TASDA - supporting Stasia Dobrowki's soup kitchen - and didn't buy anything at all (this must be something of a record).

I also instructed LOTS of people on the curly whirly scarf, hence the quick upload to blogger - easier to give the blog address than to explain it yet again.

DrK said...

ooh looks good enough to eat...

Taphophile said...

Thanks, Kylie. When it's all folded together it looks like Pringles. ;)

Margie said...

So you *did* cave in and do the fourth ball as well? :)

Taphophile said...

Yeah, did the 4th ball. I was standing around on the stall and had to have something to do.

Gillian said...

This is a great scarf to knit without paying too much attention. I did one on a bus tour of New Zealand and was able to enjoy the beautiful scenery without a drag on the needles. I did find that I had to force myself to finish the second one though. Ennui had set in.
Cheers Gillian

Taphophile said...

Oh yes, Gillian - it is definitely possible to stop at just one of these (unlike the Pringles they resemble). Pretty spectacular for a garter stitch scarf, though. :)

happyspider said...

love it, thanks taph ;)

Melanie said...

I found this whilst wading through Jejunes post and after many attempts( because I am truly the most stupid person at reading patterns) I GOT IT and now I am hooked Thank you!!! I cannot wait until mines finished

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...

Hi, I love your pattern and I can't wait to give it a try, but is 'wrap next stitch' the same as knit two stitches together?
Look forward to your explanation, thanks. Heather

Anonymous said...

I've been trying this pattern and although it looks nice, it definitely isn't curly. What is likely to be going on? I've tried 2 different yarns and 2 different size needles?

Is it supposed to start curling right away? I've gotten it about 8 inches long and it's still not curly.

Help!