I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Monday, January 21, 2019

Seven Things Weeks 19, 20 and 21

Life intervened.

With commitments over Christmas and a month of moving a very complex library and archive across town there was little time and zero energy left at the end of any day.  

Momentum kept me going for a period but I had my first seven things fails.  I will forgive myself as I've averaged far more than seven things a week over the period of the challenge and because I'm human.  All the easy wins have been had.  Decluttering is actual hard decision making and physically taxing now.

I was thinking about doing a no-spend challenge this year, but I decided against it.  I'm not trying to punish myself, just be sensible about how much I have to maintain.  This challenge is enough to make me think about purchases without doubling down.  We are being careful because we have a few big home maintenance projects and purchases this year and because we are trying to pay down our mortgage, but beyond that we choose to enjoy life.

WEEK 19

IN

1pair of earbudsBuy Nothing CommunityI kill earbuds at an alarming rate
2frypansBuy Nothing Community

1jerry canBuy Nothing Community

2phone casesEbayfor Richard’s new phone
4charging cordsEbayfor Richard’s new phone
2saucepansBuy Nothing Community

12





OUT
1Eskybinmouldy and excess to requirement
2car fridgesBuy Nothing Communityexcess to requirement
1corkerBuy Nothing CommunityGreen Shed
1bag of corksBuy Nothing CommunityGreen Shed
1bag of bottle capsBuy Nothing CommunityGreen Shed
1pair shoesbinfell apart
2diary insertsBuy Nothing Community

7rolls Dymo tapeop shop

1label makerBuy Nothing Community

1Filofaxop shopIf it’s been in the house for more than a year and is still pristine, it probably should go - no matter how much my fantasy self wants to keep it.
1basketBuy Nothing Community

1hair dryer


1pencil caseop shop

1beach ballop shop

22




NETT OUT 10

TOTAL OUT SINCE 27 August 2018 =  4347


WEEK 20

IN
1jumper kitgift
2washing basketsBuy Nothing Community
3



OUT
1shawlgift
1sealt belt coverop shop
2



NETT OUT -1

TOTAL OUT SINCE 27 August 2018 =  4346




WEEK 21

IN

1umbrellaretailRichard forgot to pack an umbrella on a rainy day
2bagssubscriptionWe are attending an event this week, these were participant pack items
2hatssubscriptionWe are attending an event this week, these were participant pack items
1t-shirtsubscriptionWe are attending an event this week, these were participant pack items
1magazinesubscription
I'm not resubscribing to this. I could get it digitally, but it's not worth it to me
2stubby holderssubscriptionWe are attending an event this week, these were participant pack items
1washing basketBuy Nothing CommunityReplacing my dead basket with new to me but second hand baskets - I’m calling that a win for the environment as well as my budge
2balls of yarnretailfor a very specific gift project
12




OUT

1screen protectorBuy Nothing Community

4glassesbincourtesy of a naughty dog
1bowlbincourtesy of a naughty dog
1pair sunglassesop shop

1pair novelty spectacles (broken)bin

1wrist restbin

1washing basketbin

1vasegift

1stampbin

12




NETT OUT 0

TOTAL OUT SINCE 27 August 2018 =  4346

Weekly Average Out since 27 August 2018 = 206.95 items


2 comments:

Jess64 said...

You have inspired me, and I have started a slightly simple record for myself this year. Trying as much as possible to count everything in and out. I've told my kids, that for every thing that comes into the house 2 things must go out. It really makes them think if they want that thing they see.

Taphophile said...

Power to you Jess! I can't imaging having to persuade kids to declutter.