I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

WIPeout 2009 - Wedgette and Wedget


And speaking of matching berets and scarves, here's a set I prepared earlier. I call them the Wedgette (scarf) and the Wedget (hat)
PATTERN:
  • The scarf is a modification of Norah Gaughan's Wedge. I made three button holes at the end of the second last row to form a closure, and used the yarn overs of the lace wedges for the other buttonholes.
  • The hat is my own design (the notes for which have disappeared), using the short rows of lace and a couple of rows of garter stitch to form the body of the beret, joined by a three needle cast off. The band is rolled garter stitch picked up from the bottom edge.

YARN: Recycled Patons Caressa. Spidey gave me a jumper she'd knitted with Caressa held double for reclaiming. Mum and I reclaimed it. The Wedgette scarf took about 60 grams, the Wedget hat took about 55g.
Tip - NEVER UNRAVEL CARESSA, PARTICULARLY TWO STRANDS KNITTED TOGETHER.
PROGRESS: Both were knitted in December 2008 and the Wedget was even blocked. Last night I sewed in the ends of the scarf, steam blocked it to 80cm in length and sewed timber buttons (Lisa Ho studio outlet purchased sometime in the late 1990s) on two sides of the scarf and to finish the top of the beret.
ISSUES: None - I love the set and look forward to wearing it. No idea why I didn't finish except that finishing off is really not my long suit, and finishing off in sweaty December was hardly a priority.
ACTION: Wear and write up hat pattern when the notes turn up.

5 comments:

Priscilla said...

Wow, you are finishing projects so fast that I can't keep up with commenting on them! I like both scarves and the beret. I think unravelling anything that was made with 2 strands of yarn is not easy, although some yarns are worse than others. I keep thinking about knitting a beret, but then other projects get in the way. But your beret has me thinking again. I also like those shorter scarves that button around the neck. They seem so practical. I should try one of them as well.

Susan said...

I really like the idea of a short scarf that buttons around the neck. It would stay in place! Lovely projects.

Olivia said...

I'm certainly a fan of the short button-up scarf or neckwarmer, and that one is fantastic! I think it suits the pattern even better than as a long scarf. Very clever beret too - a nice set.

TinkingBell said...

Lovely set - looks great!

Donna Lee said...

I have half a pair of mittens finished but since the weather here is rather warm right now, I have no impetus to finish them. Maybe, like you, I'll finish them when we get cold again. Your beret and scarflette are a beautiful color.