*for non-Australian's "to make a blue" is to make a mistake. Not to be confused with "having a blue" which is an argument/fight.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Making a blue*
It is apparent that I am not only mathematically challenged but a ridiculously pie-eyed optimist (or someone who stubbornly refuses to see the evidence in front of her).
The pattern for the Rollin' Beret clearly states that the hat requires 123 m of yarn. The ball band for the Dale of Norway Ara clearly states that each 50g ball consists of 50 m of yarn.
Anyone of moderate intelligence and basic mathematical ability would have worked out before they started knitting that they were going to be short. I worked it out when I had almost finished the first ball and was in a committed relationship with the project.
There was still some denim blue recycled 12 ply left, so I started the whole slip-stitch extension method again with hope in my heart and an eye on the end of the ball. The good news is the recycled 12 ply in the denim colour is all used up. It ran out of about 15 rows too soon.
I tried knitting faster with the remainder of the Ara, because everyone knows if you knit faster you'll finish before you run out of yarn. I got to the end of the ball faster - 6 tiny, decrease-6-stitches-in-every-round, rounds short.
This disappointment happened just before we left SnB last night. By the time I reached home I was prepared to chuck the lot in the bin and lie down and weep. The frugal self prevailed, though and I finished the bloody thing off with a very small amount of recycled 12 ply crepe wool in navy. Not quite what I'd planned, but not wasteful either.