I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Your darkest terrors may be vain, Your brightest hopes may fail



Abby by Amy Singer from the latest Knitty in vintage Villawool Suriaplagas - 80% alpaca, 20% nylon - as soft and light and warm as down.

I winged it with this one. There's been trouble with cowls trying to strangle me before, as what little neck I have is well padded so I wanted the finished item to be shorter than the 16" of the pattern and greater in circumference. Having only one ball of yarn which was a bit thicker than the laceweight recommended, I chose a 4.5mm needle instead of a 4mm.

Checking for gauge didn't worry me. This was such a quickie it was as easy to knit it as to trouble with a tension square and there wasn't yarn enough to spare anyway.

I underestimated the thickness of the yarn and overestimated the thickness of my neck. The dratted thing swims and it hasn't even blocked it yet. And no, it can't be unravelled and reknitted because the brushed alpaca sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

Ah well, can't win 'em all and it's still warm and softer than a baby's bum.

3 comments:

TinkingBell said...

2 words

scarf pin - fold over and pop on a brooch or shawl pin - or even add a button and loop

Pretty as!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know this is anathema but I thought 'cut' it and fold a hem. You can take out the bulk and make it button up instaed. But it is really lovely!!!

Donna Lee said...

I don't like things around my neck although I wear a scarf in the winter. I don't own any turtleneck sweaters anymore, they always make me feel like I can't breathe. Your cowl looks so soft and lovely and light. Like it wouldn't feel strangling. And the color is so pretty, like coffee with cream....