I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Monday, May 08, 2006

And another thing..

I really was convinced it had only been a week between posts, but Kate quite rightly demonstrated this evening, using maths and everything, that it had been two weeks, or a whole 14 days, if, like me, you are chronologically challenged.

I remembered, then, that I had spent last Sunday at the Canberra Spinners and Weavers exhibition, wonderfully titled "Warped and Twisted". A exhibition showing the depth of local spinning, knitting and weaving talent that delighted Mum as well me. I joined the society on the spot and hope to get into the next spinning class intake.

I also met an inspiring woman who has just bought her first loom. She bought it off eBay and had to drive over 1,000km round trip to collect it. She's going to weave leftover textiles from St Vincent de Paul op-shops which would otherwise have to go to landfill. Isn't that wonderful?

You may also have noticed in the sidebar, an additional SnB meets. We were contacted by the lovely Judes this week about our bi-monthly meets. Turns out she was organising her own meet at Woden each week, so we've joined forces. Judes describes herself as a knitphomaniac; so she's definitely another one from the same mothership as the Happy Spider would say.

And if all that wasn't enough, the lovely Judith and I are investigating setting up a branch of the Knitting Guild of NSW here in our fair city. We have to overcome the fact that Canberra is not in New South Wales, but that's a mere technicality. Email me or leave a comment if you're interested in joining or knowing more about a local guild.

Oh, and there was a record 22 knitters at SnB on Thursday and the lovely Beau, our Starbucks boy-manager, loved his hat and wears it home from work to counteract the autumn chill. As they say in the classics, "Noice".

And before I toddle of to sleepy bo-bos, a word about the wheel. We will not be having a wheel-naming competition. Going with the two nominations, Madam Tricoteuse from the Sheep Rustler and Charlotte from Jejune, I've decided on Mlle Charlotte Tricoteuse. From the look of her, Mlle Charlotte has been around the block a time or two (there's a NSW TAFE stamp on her, nuff said), but she retains an innocent quality that doesn't quite match "Madam".

4 comments:

Denise said...

Yes, Kate is rather tricky with that maths stuff, isn't she - should we still talk to her? ;)

So pleased that Charlotte has won through as part of your wheel's name :) Also very excited about the possible ACT 'off-shoot' of the Knitting Guild of NSW, definitely count me in.

My Five Sons said...

With a bit of travel and age its a wonder you didn't call her Gerty as the old solid reliable name suggests( our old Chamberland (spelling probably wrong) tractor was like that!!!!
I have just bought two spindles from a lady in America(somewhere) so although I can spin the traditional and electronic 'way' I was curious enough to get these handmade ones to try! Hopefully I should have them in a month!

My Five Sons said...

With a bit of travel and age its a wonder you didn't call her Gerty as the old solid reliable name suggests( our old Chamberland (spelling probably wrong) tractor was like that!!!!
I have just bought two spindles from a lady in America(somewhere) so although I can spin the traditional and electronic 'way' I was curious enough to get these handmade ones to try! Hopefully I should have them in a month!

Taphophile said...

Oooh drop spindles. Was just talking about them tonight. Will look forward to your results.:)