I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

12 into 11 - January Update

I opted into Louisa's challenge of only buying 12 clothing items in 2011.  That makes it roughly one item a month.  Given that I'm already de-cluttering, it seemed a reasonable and possibly aspirational thing to say yes to.

I had already purchased a dress to wear to a family wedding in April.  So that was the January allowance used up.

I've not stopped looking in op-shops; that would be cowardice, but knowing I can only have 12 things in the year has made me look at the racks differently.

If I'm spending one of my precious items, do I really want it to be a cheap, worn t-shirt or really cute ridiculously high-heeled shoes that would be worn once and relegated to the back of the cupboard and eventually an "outs" bag? The answer is invariably "no", although it was a close run thing with those Very Silly Shoes.

I'm also anticipating purchases. Five Ferns is looking for a down-filled jacket for me (can't get one in my size in Australia), as well as some exempt thermals, and there will inevitably be a t-shirt or jersey purchase as a souvenir of the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand. So really I only have 9 items left for the next 11 months.

Except that I only have 8.  We found two Australian representative grid-iron shirts at the Salvos on half price ($3.50 each).  They are perfect to wear to the Australia v Italy World Cup match in September (over the top of our warm clothes).  They are unneccessary and frivolous and yet absolutely essential.  I was unable to resist.

In January I bought/received/made the following exempt items.
  • a divine hand-knitted cashmere shawl which will go with the dress, so wedding outfit sorted which was a gift from a clever and lovely friend
  • 2 long sleeved t-shirts and a hoodie from Mum as part of her wardrobe clean out
  • 1 hat for protection of fair skin in great outdoors, gift from Tip Shop
  • 1 hat for the footy.  It's a Brumbies bucket hat - I loathe baseball style caps on my head, and won't wear the one that comes with our membership if I can help it.  Gift from TOF
  • 1 oversized men's shirt, gift from my brother to be remodelled.
  • 1 pr sports shoes (brand new without tags from op-shop for $8.  I priced them in a sports shop, originally $120)
  • 1 pr swimmers (brand new without tags from op-shop for $8.  I also priced these - $90)
  • 3 prs hand knitted sports socks.  (A) underwear is exempt (2) handmade is exempt.  Do I get bonus points for hand-making an already exempt item?
I did debate including the swimmers in my 12 but decided they were exempt because they are (kinda) underwear and definitely fit into the safety clothing category - safety for everyone else in the pool, really.  ToF and I do an aqua fitness class once a week, and the tankini rides up and is not much fun when doing strenuous if supported exercise.  The new cossie is much more suitable for actually moving in.

ANNUAL ALLOCATION 12
TOTAL USED  2
ITEMS LEFT 10

4 comments:

louisa @ TheReallyGoodLife said...

Hi Taph,

Good to hear how you're doing with the challenge - well done for not putting the blinkers on in shops like I've been doing -- staring temptation in the face and resisting, go you!

I think I'd probably include swim stuff in the exclusion category too - it's not exactly every day clothing and that safety angle is important ;)

Good gift haul too - I'm off to a clothes swap next week and I'm hoping to get a few items to expand my wardrobe choices without using up any of my item credits :)

Donna Lee said...

I have been doing well lately. I haven't bought any clothes since I bought some dress pants to replace some that are too big so the too big ones went to the Goodwill.

I am limiting my clothing purchases to change-of-season clothes. I won't buy anything (I just stopped going "window shopping") until I put the winter clothes away and get out the spring/summer ones.

Lynne said...

I'd particiapte but I think it'd be unfair. The last clothes I bought were the skirt and top I bought for DD's wedding in January 2009 and shoes at the same time!

Needless to say, I'm not into clothes shopping; although I have been wearing the same three pairs of non-stretch cotton jeans for five years so I really do need to think about slacks for winter (I can't stand stretch denim) and a new pair of flat leather lace ups (mine are falling apart).

Taphophile said...

That's impressive Lynne. Hope you enjoy replacing your jeans and shoes. :)

Hope you get to change your seasonal clothes soon, Donna Lee.