I had already purchased a dress to wear to a family wedding in April. So that was the January allowance used up.
I've not stopped looking in op-shops; that would be cowardice, but knowing I can only have 12 things in the year has made me look at the racks differently.
If I'm spending one of my precious items, do I really want it to be a cheap, worn t-shirt or really cute ridiculously high-heeled shoes that would be worn once and relegated to the back of the cupboard and eventually an "outs" bag? The answer is invariably "no", although it was a close run thing with those Very Silly Shoes.
I'm also anticipating purchases. Five Ferns is looking for a down-filled jacket for me (can't get one in my size in Australia), as well as some exempt thermals, and there will inevitably be a t-shirt or jersey purchase as a souvenir of the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand. So really I only have 9 items left for the next 11 months.
Except that I only have 8. We found two Australian representative grid-iron shirts at the Salvos on half price ($3.50 each). They are perfect to wear to the Australia v Italy World Cup match in September (over the top of our warm clothes). They are unneccessary and frivolous and yet absolutely essential. I was unable to resist.
In January I bought/received/made the following exempt items.
- a divine hand-knitted cashmere shawl which will go with the dress, so wedding outfit sorted which was a gift from a clever and lovely friend
- 2 long sleeved t-shirts and a hoodie from Mum as part of her wardrobe clean out
- 1 hat for protection of fair skin in great outdoors, gift from Tip Shop
- 1 hat for the footy. It's a Brumbies bucket hat - I loathe baseball style caps on my head, and won't wear the one that comes with our membership if I can help it. Gift from TOF
- 1 oversized men's shirt, gift from my brother to be remodelled.
- 1 pr sports shoes (brand new without tags from op-shop for $8. I priced them in a sports shop, originally $120)
- 1 pr swimmers (brand new without tags from op-shop for $8. I also priced these - $90)
- 3 prs hand knitted sports socks. (A) underwear is exempt (2) handmade is exempt. Do I get bonus points for hand-making an already exempt item?
ANNUAL ALLOCATION 12
TOTAL USED 2
ITEMS LEFT 10