I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Monday, December 06, 2010

Seven Things Week 4

So last week was a nett gain.  A tempting way of coping with such weeks is to save things up for when not much is happening, tossing-wise or like last week, when I was just too busy to concentrate on decluttering.

The beauty of only having to find 7 things as a goal - one per day (where ever I am) is totally doable. I usually do more because I'm weird that way and very hard on myself, but if last week was 100 and this week is 7, that's fin e - it only has to be 7.

I can't hold off deliberately, that way madness lies. Sometimes I'm delayed by circumstance - just can't get to the op shop or other intended recipient of my junk largesse, and so they aren't counted until they are gone.  If I waited until the end of the week, though, I'd be paralysed.  Once the decision is made, I really want it gone.  This is one of the reasons a lot goes to charity rather than being sold online or through the newspaper or even freecycled.

Sometimes, though, I look at things and think I really should get rid of it, but I shy away.  These things go eventually, but I find I need time to let go.  Regrets come from letting go to soon and often result in an influx of unneccessary things to fill the emotional gap - it's a bit like starvation dieting followed by a binge.  Often it's because I really want to find the right home for it.  If I rehome it rather than just give it to the op shop etc, I feel I have done the right thing by it.  This is not the same as saving things to get rid of on a rainy day.

IN

  • 1 Tupperware container (fits Collection Development Policy) GIFT from Tip Shop (the love us there)
  • 1 George Foreman grill  (ours had an accient last week, we were going to get a new one but we got an as new one from the Tip Shop for $20)
  • 2 paper patterns 50c each OP SHOP
  • 1 Liz Jordan cardigan $4.50 OP SHOP
  • 1 negligee BNWT $3.50 OP SHOP
  • 1 shirt for TOF $1.75
  • 1 bag SECRET SANTA
  • 1 DVD (Ed Wood with Johnny Depp - I do collect JD on DV) $2 GARAGE SALE
  • 1 pr bespoke down ski pants for TOF - Mont - we love local manufacturer Mont who will make to fit.
OUT
  • 2 glass cannisters (more buttons rehoused) - OP SHOP
  • 2 tops - GIFT
  • 3 books -my vintage Billabong books with original dust jackets; gift to my niece who loves old books (can't imagine where that comes from!) - GIFT
  • 1 decorative bottle.  Merely decorative and never used as a vase etc. - OP SHOP
  • 1 casserole dish - GIFT
  • 2 Tupperware chopping bowls, one I bought, one was a gift.  Only used twice, I prefer a good knife- OP SHOP
  • 1 Tupperware sandwich box - OP SHOP
  • 2 glass jars unsuitable for preserves - RECYCLING
  • 2 novels, read and not going to be read again - OP SHOP
  • 1 Tupperware jelly mould (small) - OP SHOP
  • 1 electric kettle.  I bought this at Bing Lee Marrickville for a silly amount of money (or so I thought at the time).  I remember arguing with myself that I was allowed to have a sleek stainless steel look kettle rather than a ceramic jug left over from work or a plasticky nasty from the supermarket.  It took over a week to allow myself to buy it.  It's done me well, but it's too small at just a litre and I picked up a 1.7 litre jobby at a garage sale for a few dollars (between 1 and 5, can't remember) and can't justify keeping the old one as a spare.  Yes, I am aware how silly it is to tell the story of an electric kettle, but it's part of the release process. - OP SHOP.
  • 2  plastic containers - OP SHOP
  • 2 glass biscuit barrels (rarely cook and when I do, there's vintage tins and Tupperware) - OP SHOP
  • 8 golf umbrellas.  We bought these for Happy Spider's wedding last year because it was a drizzly day.  They were used and then we stored them.  Spidey needed them for another purpose this week, so now they are hers. - GIFT
  • 1 Tupperware sandwich box - OP SHOP
  • 6 prs pantyhose.  I stockpile hosiery, but these are too small - GIFTS
  • 1 calculator - OP SHOP
  • 1 Bodum pear-shaped thing - OP SHOP
  • 2 Tupperware vases - OP SHOP
  • 1 Tupperware soup container - OP SHOP
  • 1 bag - GIFT
  • 1 plastic mug, damaged and unrecyclable - BIN
SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT
Work has been brutal so no finished things this week

IN 10
OUT 47
NETT OUT 37

SIAA 0

2 comments:

2paw said...

That is a very good philosophy, sometimes I am doing something and then I miss out or 'fall off the wagon' and then I give up. You have a much better way of coping!!!

Janet McKinney said...

I am not game to join you this year - but I sewed up 130 bags for Christmas Hampers (same style as Grocery plastic bags) from stash - Got to pretend that gets rid of some stuff.... just don't need to replace it!!)