I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Monday, March 03, 2008

But I miss you most of all my darling...

When Autumn leaves start to fall.
On the first day of the month I wore hand-knitted socks for the first time this year and cast on a cardigan.

Despite all the the WIPs, I need to knit me a cardie right now!

This recycled 8-10ply in cherry red wants to be the Filigree Lace Jacket from White Lies Design. The pattern has been here for a while and the time seemed right.

So far it looks a bit big but how are you supposed to measure gauge across a lace piece? Is it blocked or unblocked? Surely with lace one blocks to measurements and there's a fair bit of play. It would be so much better to give WPI or stst tension and let me work it out from there. I suspect I’m going to have to go down a size. We’ll see once I finish a sleeve.

And the Powerball ticket? Not my winning entry I assure you - it's my row counting system. I cross through the numbers, having previously marked the squares where something like an increase needs to happen. I use pencil to cross through the numbers so the mark can be rubbed out when if I need to tink a row or so.

14 comments:

gemma said...

Using the powerball ticket for counting pattern rows has to rate as one of the most useful ideas someone has ever mentioned. Thanks,

Bells said...

Oh I love that pattern! Great choice and amazing colour. I'm in the knit a cardigan now headspace too!

Superb use of a powerball ticket.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful pattern, and that red! Gorgeous! Love it!

AMCSviatko said...

Now I've got that Coldcut song going through my head. Luckily I like it a lot...

And those were damned fine socks. I'm glad you understood the knitterly greeting of caressing your sock rather than waving at you or shaking your hand :-)

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Swoon...I am so in love with that cardi.It is going to look gorgeous!

As for week 26. Regardless of what the world says, it is the sentimental value we put on things that make them worth something. It's not silly in the least.

Margie said...

I knat an angelina jacket from white lies and the gauge was measured across ribbing and i had no idea whether i was getting the right gauge or not because on ribbing you can really make it be as wide as you want too..... and it ended up being WAY too big and fluffy and loose and i ended up gifting it to someone who regifted it. :/
So i dunno what the moral of that story is besides maybe measure it against a jumper you know already fits you?

I like your lotto ticket idea :)

Unknown said...

Brilliant! I'm off to the newsagent for a lotto ticket :)

Anonymous said...

Great Cardigan. The cool weather has just started here and I have started a cardigan too!!!
The Cherrry Red is a brilliant colour!!!

Denise said...

Aaaah autumn, my favourite season. It's bliss, isn't it.

I'm so glad you're casting on something for yourself! That will be so beautiful - perfect colour, too :)

Kate said...

I love this idea with the lotto ticket. I just use the tally-of-five method in my knitting notebook, courtesy of Jejune!

Lynne said...

Lovely colour!

I would have thought it would be blocked to size myself.

Like everyone else, I think the use of powerball ticket is a great idea.

DrK said...

ha! how about that. i just ordered that pattern yesterday. and im thinking either red or black...that red is very fetching :)

TinkingBell said...

Great going with the 7 things and love the jscket - mmmm red is always warmer, isn't it?

Donna Lee said...

And now I am thinking of all the lotto tickets I've thrown away.... they could have been useful!