I'm usually prepared for the Christmas gift-giving pretty early. This year, not as early, but I was still ready with 10 days or so to spare. I've noticed in other years that even being prepared hasn't stopped me from feeling that I should be shopping. It's not just advertising hype and the talk around the lunch-room table but the fact that shopping frenzy is covered on the evening news! Shopping malls at midnight are the happening places, apparently. Our culture is so commercialised and geared to consumer experience that it's hard to not feel like I'm missing out on something.
Of course I'm really missing out on crowds, anxiety, cross-people who are more anxious than me, other people's tired cross and anxious children, bad renditions of my favourite Christmas carols through the PA system, and over-priced, useless stuff that will be relegated to the back of the cupboard or the op-shop come Boxing Day.
Ah well, I've never run with the "in" crowd and I'd rather be home with Peggy and a knitting project; the shops will just have to do without me.
- 1 groovy green bag. GIFT
- 1 felted bowl. GIFT
- 2 skeins yarn. GIFT
- 1 pkt Patons Aran yarn. OP-SHOP.
- 8 books - birthday money in action.
- 1 keyring. GIFT
- 2 magazines. GIFT
- 1 cone pink 5ply wool. OP-SHOP $2
- 10 Christmas fabric napkins. OP-SHOP $2.50. (already transformed into 5 re-usable fabric gift bags)
- 2 ramekins. GIFT
- 8 Patons patterns for the collection. eBay
- 8 cookbooks GIFTS/OP SHOP
- 11 balls knitting cotton GIFT
- 2 balls sock yarn GIFT
- 1 skein sock yarn GIFT
- 9 items as gifts
- 2 fridge magnets. I took the actual magnets out to creatively reuse them and put the plastic faces (theme park souvenirs from well-meaning friends) in the bin.
- 5 wash cloths GIFTS
- 13 gift soaps GIFTS
- 13 gift bags GIFTS
- 1 emery board - worn out. BIN
- 4 sample sachets for cosmetic products. BIN
- 1 neck warmer
- 37 fabric gift sacks - fabric from Nanna's stash and 10 Christmas fabric napkins bought at Vinnies. Ribbon from stash.
- 2 fridge magnets made from the tops of champagne bottles and re-used magnets.
- 1 toddler's vest
Net Out 32