I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

A rose by any other name...

These are identical twins in Jigsaw sock yarn by Heirloom on 2mm dpns. Standard, cuff down pattern.

Cast on for me, Mum decided they should be for her. The knitting has been finished for weeks, I just hadn't got around to grafting the toe. Ms Spider to the rescue, and now they are done. Mum will receive them on Wednesday - they've gone to Queensland for a wedding.

And yes, I do need to deadhead the roses.

Managed to hit myself in the head with doors, twice, yesterday. I spent the late afternoon and early evening on the couch being ministered to by my nieces. A VERY slight concussion, apparently, but I was ok to go home to sleep.

Rosie had her revenge for the bow incident by throwing up in bed, my bed, at 5.30 this morning. Thanks, Rose.

7 comments:

amanda j said...

Your poor head! How did you manage to do that??

Lovely socks for your lucky Mum. I have done toe up socks a couple of times lately and when I had to graft a toe this afternoon I had to think long and hard how to go about it! How quickly one forgets!!

Casp said...

You do need to deadhead those roses!

And did you ever prune them??
When to prune roses in Canberra, when they start flowering before the frosts have finished.

Gillian said...

I have to ask. Was the bow in (the)evidence after Rosie's mishap?
Cheers Gillian

Casp said...

Sorry if I sounded rude - I was meaning to actually ask when to prune roses in Canberra, as you mentioned it some time ago, and I am never sure....

Taphophile said...

No bow was in evidence, Gillian. ;) A small mercy! King size doona and cover into the wash and now it's getting a heaven sent rinsing. I am not complaining about that or the need for more fuel for the lawn mower.

Casp - sorry to have misinterpreted your comment. Bloody internet - so hard to get intonation right. :)

I gave the roses a light prune about a month ago. Last year I pruned hard and we got a late frost that literally nipped the buds. This year I opted for a light going over just as the leaves started to show but only about halfway down the stems rather than all the way back. The David Austens are starting to bloom and will be deadheaded in the morning - promise! As soon as the rain dries up (forecast for next week is showers), I'll spray them with soapy water and garlic to try and hold off the aphids and they'll get some more cow manure and fresh pea straw mulch as a Christmas present.

Fingers crossed for better blooms this year.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

I really like those socks.Gorgeous! Nasty accident! I once rammed my head into the edge of a counter. I was at a vet clinic so they didn't even have any asprin/tylenol to give me.

As for Rose...it's as bad as having a two legged kid.

Casp said...

Oh your roses sound so pampered - no wonder they have flowered already for you.

Mine are just starting to flower. Mine have missed pruning for a couple of years now.... I have some gorgeous big bushes though (I don't know the names - mine are known as the Big Red one, the old fashioned pink one, etc). And some of them do well, despite being shaded out by the lemon tree and other big trees.

Must try to prune next year.....