I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Behind the 8ply

OK, I admit to keeping the 20 balls of pale green alpaca and the 20 balls of Jo Sharp navy for me. I need at least 20 balls for a garment for me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

I'm also keeping the pretty things I won in the recent Yarn contest (pic below). I made the mistake of opening the parcel in front of Mum. She immediately claimed "her" bits. Apparently she's always wanted pink alpaca and merino scarf in just that shade of pink. The two pink scarves I made her last year, which were her favourite things ever, and the lace shawl I made from a Yarn pattern are, apparently, nothing special and only the alpaca merino blend will do!There was also an unseemly tussle over the Brittany cable needles in which the words "selfish" and"disown" were used.

Apart from those items which I have selfishly kept for myself, yes Mum has knitted through the 8ply. I am currently unravelling, washing and winding several op-shop jumpers to feed the woman's voracious appetite for wool. She suggested, yesterday, that I was holding out on her and taking advantage of the fact that she can't get into my house easily (too many steps) to properly check that I'd handed all the good stuff over. This, after I let her knit the single balls I was keeping to knit the pretty flowers on Folly.

OK, back to the skeiner now.

Yarn goodie pack - it was worth being disowned for!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have resurrected a knitting monster!

And so what if you are taking advantage of your extra stairs! :) A girl has to do something to protect her stash!

amanda j said...

You really need to keep an eye on her! Careful she doesn't get someone on the inside to work for her!

Bells said...

tee hee, your mum makes me giggle. :-)

Denise said...

Very glad you've saved some of your special stash. Bummer about the grab-fest with your Yarn treats though :/

Never install a ramp at your house!

AMCSviatko said...

Feel free to use my PO Box in future...

But a yarn-theif mother is a good sign, yes??

(*I can breath with ease knowing my stash is on the first floor and in the top shelf of a cupboard. You know, just in case your mother happened to be passing and sniff it out from the street...)

the stripey tiger said...

Hi Taph - Doing some catching up on your blog - I cant believe how many hats you've knit! My mum, luckily has a formidable stash so I wont have to share mine for some time....lol!! I'm coming to Canberra next week and I've just realised that I'm going to miss all your snb dates...Oh well - next time... :-) Sharon

Kate said...

Good gravey - the woman has become frightening! what are you going to do with the couple of balls of Yarn yarn you were able to retrieve? It seems all your allocated knitting time has now been redirected to skeining...

Sue H said...

OMG!! You've created a monster, lol. It's giving me idea's though. I'm going to visit my daughter who lives in Perth and she's a knitter too. Do you think I can raid her stash like your mum does?? It's worth a try. hehe