I acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. I acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The pattern for the cowl came from my head. I just cast on 90 stitches, did the moebius thing and went for it, which is how I got half and half instead of garter - must learn to think before I knit.

I get twitchy about not having enough in the house, too, but then I buy stuff and it sits in the cupboard not being used. It's sensible to have standbys and to buy in bulk/on special and I will continue to do so - I've just got to actually use some of the stuff before I buy more.

Thanks for the offer of the grinder, Jejune. Mine works fine and I'll keep using it. As TSS said, the universe might send me a hand grinder and then I'll get a work out instead of using electricity.

********

COOK FROM THE CUPBOARD

BREKKIE: Porridge with craisins and coffee.

LUNCH: Time to play deep freeze roulette. The rules of the game are simple - oversleep because it's frosty AND foggy, spend too long reading blogs AND have to wash and dry your hair AND get the dog up the road to doggy day-care. Then when you are well and truly late for work, open the deep freeze and grab the first Tupperware container you see.

Bingo! Homemade pumpkin soup which I had with toast soldiers.

There was a single Tim Tam left over from yesterday's packet of bikkies so a colleague and I split it.

AFTERNOON TEA: An orange.

DINNER: The parents leave for warmer climes tomorrow, so I played the companion game to freezer roulette - veggie crisper excavation and left over protein surprise. We had a combination of chicken and the last of the pork in a honey soy sauce with a lot of frozen peas, a scraping of carrot and suggestion of cauliflower with boiled potatoes. The wine was pretty good, though.

SUPPER: Tea and a raisin bagel, toasted. Later, still hungry so I grabbed an orange.

There's a guy at the Woden Farmers' Market who makes divine bagels. The walnut are the best, followed by the raisin ones. They used to be 6 for $5 but last time I bought them they were up to $5.50. Still yummy, still worth it, and I've only got 4 left in the freezer.

TOTAL SPENT: Gifts $85.40

5 comments:

Bells said...

I'm sending SEan to buy those bagels in his lunch hour when he gets back. Love a good bagel!

I love your excavation work, Taph. A suggestion of cauliflower. *giggle*

I get anxious about having too much too, hence my desire to cook a lot of lentils and pasta in the next fortnight. Hmmm....there must be a way to make that sound inviting???

AMCSviatko said...

I have an excellent lentil and spinach soup recipe, Bells, and am happy to send it your way.

I've decided I "need" an Easiyo maker so I can have a bash at making my own yoghurt. Do you think The Universe would mind if we added that to the list?

Denise said...

I was having dreams about your cowl pattern, Taph - am I going nuts or is this just the next step in my obsession? ;)

TSS, don't buy a yoghurt maker, you can do it yourself in your oven and with a few large glass jars. Try this recipe - I've had good success with it. One trick is to make sure you leave the yoghurt to sit in the fridge for another 8-10 hours after it's come out of the oven.

This site has lots of photos and instructions too - but you don't have to have a gas oven as she claims.

Olivia said...

I am a broccoli woman at heart and when it comes to cauliflower, 'a suggestion' is quite enough.

Though I did buy one this week as I have been thinking about some sort of cauliflower and chick pea curry. Mmmm, warming.

These 'use what you have' efforts are very inspiring.

Taphophile said...

I prefer broccoli, too, Olivia, but cauliflower was all the fridge gave up. I do a curry with cauli, chick peas, pumpkin and spinach with is rather nice. Very comforting.

The links to the yoghurt making are excellent, Jejune. Apparently I can do the same with soy - maybe next week.